Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Peppermint Mocha Baked French Toast

I haven't been experimenting in a while, but this past weekend I had something new to eat that I loved: baked French toast. It was A......mazing! All warm and gooey on the inside, and nice and crispy on the outside. Delish. And I had to try and make some at home, especially since I love French toast anyway.

Normally, I don't make very good French toast. My bread isn't stale enough, or I don't let it soak long enough, or it gets burned in the pan on the stove. Basically, it is normally a huge failure. Never the less, I had to try again! And HUZZAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked! But mostly because everything kind of just came together in a perfect storm of deliciousness and good timing. Here it goes in a list of everything that I needed to go right:

1. We were at the very end of our last loaf of bread for the week. I'm talking we had 4 slices of bread left, and it was getting to be a bit dry to eat.

2. The sourdough starter is getting to the point of really NEEDING to be used, so I am making bread tonight, and it was okay to use up the last bit of the last loaf instead of stretching it out another day or two.

3. We have a really big container of peppermint mocha coffee creamer in the fridge.

4. I can't drink coffee at the moment (yay pregnancy!), and the hubs drinks his black.

5. We had exactly 3 eggs left in the fridge.

6. We are grocery shopping tonight.

7. I decided last night that I wanted French toast for breakfast this morning, so I could slice the bread up and get it going stale last night while we slept. I never know more than an hour in advance what I am making for a meal. It just doesn't happen.

I know, that's a lot of things that needed to happen to make French toast. It should be something simple, but not in this house. I don't plan on cooking things. They just happen.

Notes from this experiment:

1. You can probably make this in a casserole dish, but I wanted individual servings.
2. I'm sure using just plain milk instead of creamer would work, too, but hey, experimenting is fun!
3. More eggs=more servings. Just saying.


Looks good, right!

Peppermint Mocha Baked French Toast

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

3-4 medium slices of stale bread
3 eggs
1 cup peppermint mocha coffee creamer
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamon
2 tsp salt

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
In a shallow bowl, mix your eggs, 3/4 cup creamer, cinnamon, cardamon, and salt until it resembles very liquid scrambled eggs. 
Break the bread into chunks, and soak on each side for 2-3 minutes.
Stuff chunks into a large muffin tin until level with the top of the pan.
Splash a little extra creamer on top of each serving, and then bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the top is nice and crunchy.

So super easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment