Friday, January 30, 2015

Salmon Cakes



The weekend always heralds a time for "fancy" cooking in my kitchen. This week, the hubs wanted crab cakes. We did not make crab cakes. Crab is too expensive, and the babe isn't old enough for shell fish yet, and we like to let her eat whatever we are. Salmon is cheaper, and the babe can eat it, so I whipped out my experimenting hat: Salmon Cakes.

These are delicious, filling, and don't make me feel greasy like most crab cakes make me feel after eating them. Yes, I have had good crab cakes, and no, they aren't supposed to be greasy, but even the ungreasy ones make me feel greasy. It's probably because I like to dunk them in butter. Everything is better dunked in butter. I digress...

Anyway, these were a cinch to make, and only took half an hour. That is quick in my book. I'd give you some notes from my experiment, except that I don't have any. They turned out exactly how I wanted them to, and were super easy, so....yeah. Here's the recipe instead. Oh, and I suppose you could use crab. They'd be just as tasty.


Salmon Cakes

makes 9 cakes

Salt and Pepper
3 TBSP butter-divided
Juice from 1 lemon-divided
1 lb fresh salmon
2 TBSP cilantro
1 TBSP green onion
3 TBSP Old Bay (or just lots and lots of Old Bay. I'm guessing on how much I actually used.)
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
1 TBSP fresh oregano
1 TBSP whole grain mustard
1/4 cup Sriracha mayo (mayo with Sriracha, ketchup, and cilantro)
2 TBSP paprika
1 egg
1 TBSP olive oil
Splash of soy sauce

1) Wrap salmon in tin foil with the juice of 1/2 a lemon, 2 TBSP butter, and salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, or until it is half way cooked. (Don't worry, the rest will be cooked later on.)

2) Break apart the salmon until it reaches a flakish like consistency. Really, just shred it with a fork until chunky. Keep the butter/lemon juice.

3) In a large bowl mixing bowl add the salmon, juice, and rest of the ingredients except for the last TBSP of butter and the olive oil.

4) Refrigerate for 15 minutes.

5) Heat the oil and butter in a large pan on medium-low until frothy. Form the mix into patties, and fry on each side for about 4 minutes, or until golden and delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment