Saturday, August 2, 2014

Desperate Times


Yesterday was the first of the month, which means a return of grocery money! Yay! We can have real food again instead of scrounging around! Well, not exactly. Our car is...unreliable. Okay, it's a hunk of junk that may or may not start depending on it's mood. The babe and I found this out the hard way yesterday. We were out at the home-brew store to get the stuff to make cheese as our first stop of the shopping day. It also turned out to be the last stop of the shopping day. It took ten minutes to get the car to turn on when we were leaving. I don't go very far these days, because the last thing I want is to be stranded with the baby someplace that's sketchy. Needless to say, we limped home instead of risking it with the rest of the trip. We'd managed a week of scrounging, how hard could one more day be?

Desperate times call for creative measures. I know it's getting bad when I can't eat any more PB&J's (my favorite sandwich since I was a kid), and I resort to egg drop soup. And I don't mean the traditional kind. I need more sustenance than that. I like egg drop soup, don't get me wrong, but it's desperate food. It's cheap. It's easy. And I'm in really deep trouble if I run out of eggs.

This isn't really an experiment, but here's a few notes anyway:

1) Using chicken broth tastes a whole lot better than bullion. If you make it with broth, use 4 cups, and skip the bullion.

2) Yeah, that's all I've got.


Non-traditional Egg Drop Soup-at least how I made it last night...


Makes 2 bowls worth of soup

4 cups water
4 chicken bullion cubes
1 carrot-sliced
1/4 onion-diced
1 clove ginger-minced
salt, pepper, ginger and turmeric to taste
2 eggs

1) Bring your water and bullion cubes to a boil in a pot.

2) Add carrot, onion, and ginger. Boil for 5 minutes.

3) Add spices.

4) Scramble eggs in a small bowl or cup that is easy to pour from.

5) While stirring vigorously, slowly pour in eggs.

6) Scoop in to a bowl and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment